Nex 5R significantly underexposing: 1.5 stops!

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Nex 5R significantly underexposing: 1.5 stops!
Dec 30, 2012

The camera significantly underexposes by about 1.5 stops! I have used 16mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 18-55mm lenses. With the latter, it is partially better (I would say about one stop). I use aperture priority mode with the default multi metering mode. Center weighted metering actually overexposes by about 2/3 stops.

The histogram in Camera clearly shows the underexposure. It is all concentrated in the lower half of the scale without exposure compensation. When I use exp. compensation by 1 1/3 or 1 2/3, it then spreads along the whole axis. I guess it means the camera's metering system should know the exposure is not enough but it does not attempt to remedy the exposure. The camera's histogram matches that of Photoshop.

So far, I have tried it only under artificial light indoor. Tomorrow I will test it in daylight.

Does anybody else has this problem with 5R or 6? It looks like I need to call Sony service for RMA.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow