Why are there no good AF 50mm lenses available for Nikon?

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
sambru
Regular MemberPosts: 284
Like?
Re: Why are there no good AF 50mm lenses available for Nikon?
In reply to ROOOO, Dec 30, 2012

ROOOO wrote:

I recently ordered a D600, but am having second thoughts about it after having done a bit more research. My question is simple: why does there not seem to be a great 50mm autofocus lens available for this system? My all-time favorite lens is the Leica 50mm Summicron. The 50mm Summilux-M ASPH is a great lens, though a little too big for my taste. Both of them are super sharp when shot wide open. It seems like 50mm lenses are the best focal length from a performance/cost standpoint. In other words, it seems like it easier to make a great 50mm lens than a great 35mm lens.

Both Canon and Nikon offer good, cheap f/1.8 50mm lenses. Leica's 50mm Summilux and its new APO Summicron are probably two of the best lenses in the world. The Noctilux is the fastest at f/0.95. All of these are incredible lenses. Why is there nothing that's a step or two up from the 50mm f/1.8 for Nikon in terms of rendering and sharpness wide open? (It doesn't seem to me like the f/1.4G really delivers exceptional performance at f/1.4.) Thoughts?

I think you should stop reading crap. I have 4 Nikon 50mm from 1.8 AIS series E the 1.4 the 1.8D & the 1.8G they all work great on my D800 the "G" is so sharp it will make your eyes bleed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow