Question on Catalog Backup in LR4

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,790Gear list
Like?
Re: Question on Catalog Backup in LR4
In reply to Andre LeDoc, Dec 30, 2012

Andre LeDoc wrote:

Is it possible to change the folder (on a different hard disk) where the preview are located ?

-- hide signature --

Andre Ouellet

I keep Lightroom set to back up the catalog every time I exit LR.  It asks if you want to do it and it only takes a second to say Back up or Skip this time.  I Test integrity, Optimize catalog, and back up the catalog every time I add new images or make any edits to images.

When the back up catalog screen pops up you have the option of setting the Backup Folder.   I recommend you set the location to a different hard drive than where the Catalog is stored. This way if the hard disk with the main catalog is corrupted you have an up to date backup of all your edits, etc.

The backup takes a few minutes but I simply go do something else while this is done.  I also backup my image files, XMP files, and the master catalog to two external hard drives whenever I add a new set of images or once a week if I am only editing.  Those few minutes can save me a lot of work should the main catalog drive fail.

One note about catalog back up.  When you do this the old back up is NOT automatically erased.  After the back up is finished I go to the backup folder and erase the oldest file, keeping only the current and previous one.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow