ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Flagpole
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
Need help with Nikon SB800 Repairs
Dec 30, 2012

Hi guys,

I am hoping someone can give me some help with regards to repairing my SB800. I did a shoot the other day where I had to use the flash off-camera shooting into an umbrella. Being bright sunny and hot  and quite a distance away I had my flash triggered by some radio slaves. Unfortunately we had to work in manual at full power so I  the flash eventually stopped firing

The electronics seem to be ok as it turns on and all the buttons work including zoom motor. The ready light does not come on and I can't hear the usual high pitch sound of capacitor charging. If I press the red test button the ready light flashes repeatedly 10 times or so.

I have to assume this is probably a sign of either a flash tube or capacitor being blown due to overheating. Has anyone else come across same issue? I've contacted Nikon Australia and they want $44 for a quote

Has anyone tried the repair themselves or had the flash repaired? How much did it cost?

Any help with the subject would be greatly appreciated

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7000, MB-D11, Nikon D60, 24-70mm, 70-200mm VRII, 18-55mm VR, 18-200mm VR, Sigma 30mm, Tamron 28-75 F2.8 (ibm), 2xSB800

Flagpole's gear list:Flagpole's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow