ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MgrBuddha
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Upgrade plan: what lenses for 5D3?
Dec 30, 2012

Hi everybody,

I will buy a 5D3 within 3 months or so, I'm just waiting for a good offer from one of the vendors here in Norway. So what I want to know is what lenses you recommend I get? I have a Rebel 4 now with 10-22, 15-85 and a Sigma 30 which are all crop lenses. Then I have a 50 1.4 and a 70-200 f4L IS that will work with the 5D3. I might have to sell the Rebel and those lenses, but then again I might not.

I would of course love to get the 24-70 2.8 II and the 70-200L 2.8 IS but those will be out of my economic reach for quite a while yet. I'm considering the 24-70 2.8 I which can be bought used at a quite reasonable price these days. Then there is the possibility of getting the the 24-105 kit lens with the 5D3.

Some reviews claim that the first generation 24-70 isn't all that sharp before stopping down to f4, what experience do you have? I'd love to have those extra stops at the all-purpose lens (compared to the 24-105) but if it doesn't deliver razor sharp images above f4.0, well then it's sort of wasted for me. 24, 35, 85, 135 and even longer primes could all be of interest if I can get some good used ones as well. And no, I will not be getting 5D2 or 6D and more money for lenses. I have considered it, but my mind is now made up about the 5D3.

The camera will be used for all sort of photography; landscape, people, wildlife, indoors, travel. For street shooting I will be using my Fujifilm X100, for everything else the 5D3. I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with the camera or the lenses I consider.

MgrBuddha's gear list:MgrBuddha's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow