Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,285Gear list
Like?
SX50 and RAYNOX250 do Crystalline Art
Dec 29, 2012

When attached to the SX50, the RAYNOX250 does not produce a lot of depth of field, measured down to the fractions of a millimeter. But what it does do is introduce us into the world of near micro photography. And although that can be used for a lot of science, my preference is to try to bring out the "art" in nature at this tiny level.

Although still a little rough, this is my first attempt with the SX50 to peer into a crystalline level with a horizontal filed of view of a bit over 1 millimeter. The ability to focus was on only about 1 or 2 neighboring crystals at a time, so I took multiple images at different focus and stacked them in Photoshop CS5. Like I said, a little rough for photography values, but I like the image for its artistic value. Both values need some improvement, but I thought I'd post the image anyway so that others who have gone to this level can suggest improvments. And as I work on my technique, I hope to post improved artistic images in the future from tiny slices of nature.

Here's the first attempt:

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow