Recently upgraded from D5100 to D600, I have a few questions...

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ravemirror
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Recently upgraded from D5100 to D600, I have a few questions...
Dec 29, 2012

Hello all,

Recently I took advantage of the deal that was offered for the D600 and purchased one immediately with what I had made from selling off my previous gear including my old D5100. Now that I have the D600 in my hands I realized that it was an entirely different camera from what I was comfortable with before with my D5100.

With that said, their are a few things that I'm having a bit of difficulty with so I have a few questions pertaining to that, and then would like some advice/tips regarding particular things.

First off, the light meter. I felt like I had a better command of the light meter before with the D5100, I would have assumed that the same fundamentals would have carried on over to the D600. When I'm taking pictures I'm noticing that my shots are severely underexposed, even if I compensate the light meter hardly moves to where I want it to. what am I doing wrong? Or is this something that will take more time with.

The view finder, I've noticed that the view finder is darker than my D5100. If anything I would compare it to my Nikon FM, meaning, it's somewhat dark. Is this something that is specific to Full Frame? I'm sorry if this is a silly question.

Through taking a photography class last quarter I realized that I enjoy more Urban photography more so than anything else. So, what should I use for my U1 and U2 presets, any tips here would help. Like I said, I am fairly new to the world of photography. Furthermore I realized I really enjoy using my 50mm so I held onto that from my old gear and plan on using it primarily. I try to shoot in Manual only, of course their are instances in which I may use other modes. Though I never use automatic unless I want to cheat and use the settings that the camera chooses and go from there.

I really want to hit the streets and start shooting, since it's more of a hobby if anything to me. I just need a bit of a push.

Thanks for reading, I hope I made sense lol.

Some shots I took with the D5100 in the past.

Nikon D5100 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow