Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
becasabot
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Most foolish of all RX1 accessories
Dec 29, 2012

I think the thumb grip TGA-1 is the number one unnecessary accessory.

I was going to buy EVF and the lens hood however since they were unavailable I bought the EVF on ebay from Japan togetherwith the thumb grip instead of the hood to spoil myself as if fortune spent for RX1 and EVF i not enough already. In my first use I liked the grip which felt good using with the LCD. However on consequent uses I am convinced that it is an overrated piece of equipment.

On top of this it can not be used with the EVF. It is not really neceessary with the OVF either since it does not help with steadying the camera much.

Mine was once slipped off the camera while inside the bag hopefully and I thought I did not lock it.And the lock's travel is so short and after the travel it does not feel stiff or so that you donot think it is locked or you feel it may easily unlock itself.

However later after a close inspection to see how the locking mechanism works I revealed that one of the two protrusions that go out of the grip to go into the flash shoe holes is not really coming out in full but maybe about like one third of the other one. I think it was so from day one since I used it only twice and never forced or misused it. However I will not be able to return it since Sony customer service does not work like Apple's probably. (Apple sometimes do not question the invoice and even where the item is bought, really cool), Iam located in Istanbul and I doubt Sony will care about my problems here where they sell the camera for USD 4800 w/o any accessories.

Now I am trying to figure out if I will be able to repair it myself, but it needs microsurgery and I need to figure out how to dismantle it if it ever allows dismantling.

I must be a fool to have bought it and now I will make a fool of myself buying the lens hood that will be in stock on 29th Jan.  as per Sony US. The third party lens hoods are not really replacing it  however the hood will be used for protection only, otherwise it is not necessary at all (RX1 is very resistant to flares). So the hood maybe the second dumbest accessory after the thumbrest.Thumbrest is nr1 foolest  by a long shot.

Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow