good old 28-105D vs 24-70mm

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,351Gear list
Like?
Re: good old 28-105D vs 24-70mm
In reply to zzzzzzzzzzz, Dec 29, 2012

zzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I've owned my 28-105D since 1999 and it has been used on film and a D50, D90, D7000, and D800. It has always been fairly poor at 28mm, especially wide open where is is borderline unacceptable with tons of CA and blurring along the left side of the image. Nikon in Melville has "repaired" it about 5 times and it never gets any better. It is very good when stopped down a bit at 35mm and longer, but my new 24-85VR is a better lens.

I've been through two copies myself AND tested a handful more.  Many of these 28-105Ds have major centering issues for some reason - either an initial QC problem at Nikon or they are susceptible to misalignment from minor impact.  The zoom mechanism, being plastic and all, tends to wear out and get sticky and I'm told there is no repair other than to replace the offending parts which makes it a bit expensive.

Still a great all around lens that Nikon should definitely update (optics, AF and mechanics) while keeping the very useful macro capabilities.

A companion 24-85/2.8-4AFS VR would be great too . . . .

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow