Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,937Gear list
Like?
D-490 - "Waaah"
Dec 29, 2012

In another thread Digirame found a working 2002 vintage Olympus Camedia C-4000.

While I cry no tears for most of the Camedia models I had, I found excitement with them then for various reasons. Digirame's post nevertheless prompted me to dig out my old C-990/D-490, and the Eneloop type AA cells in it were still working after two years of non-use.

The cat said "Waaaah!"

taken with the D-490

She was not impressed when I got her to pose with the old camera -

taken with the SZ-30MR

She tried really hard not to pose with my current SZ-30MR

taken with the D-490

I will keep the C-990/D-490 as a working example from earlier years. But it is showing its age in both design and technology employed.

When I depress the display button, I have to wait for a couple of secnonds before the first image comes up. I have to press three different buttons in turn to delete an image. The camera does not turn itself off before the batteries go flat. You really need to use the full frame with just 1600x1200 pixel resolution. I cropped the last picture here - and I dare not enlarge it. Chasing the cat round the deck also reminded me that the C-series flatly refuses to take a shot when the focus cannot lock. Video? It is 15 seconds without sound.

While playing with the C-990 I realised I had four sets of rechargeable Eneloop type AAs that needed a top-up. With my nostalgia satisfied, I started recharging them, so something useful came out of this exercise.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Olympus D-490 Zoom (C990Z) Olympus SZ-30MR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow