Nikon D600: Are the "benefits" of this camera really worth it over the Canon 6D?

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scorehound
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Nikon D600: Are the "benefits" of this camera really worth it over the Canon 6D?
Dec 29, 2012

I have been reading many comparisons of these two cameras for some time now, with many Nikon "fanboys" comparing these two cameras by using the D600's strengths as reasons to buy it over the Canon 6D, and Canonites saying that the 6D's Low Light performance and 5D mk III image quality as reasons to buy the Canon.

Now I see the obvious pluses of the Nikon, the 39 point AF being a big one, as well as some body features that I really like. But does the other stuff really matter?

- Is 5.5 FPS a major advantage over 4.5 FPS considering the Canon 5D mkII had 3.9 FPS and was quite possibly Canon's best "affordable" camera?

- Is the 39 AF points just a gimmick or do more focus points really matter? Some Canon users say they only use the center point. Does it make a difference from Landscape shooters to Portrait photographers?

- As far as low light / High ISO quality is concerned, does the 50-102,000 range really matter over the limited range of the Nikon D600? Is there a real quality difference in higher ISO usage?

The main reason I am asking is because I stand at a crossroads with my Canon 7D and my lenses, and although I am ready to make the jump to the 6D, I cannot get the Nikon D600 specs out of my head. IS there a real quality boost in the Nikon enough to warrant doing a complete system changeover?

Take note that I have been a Canon shooter since I started and have no idea what Nikon is like.

Scorehound's gear list:Scorehound's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow