Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,543Gear list
Like?
Re: 1DX with ASPH sensor - Why Not
In reply to NeilSDPR, Dec 29, 2012

NeilSDPR wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

Why? The 1D X already has more pixels on the aps-h image sensor area than the 1D3 had (11.5 MP vs. 10 MP) So it's really the difference between 16 MP and 11.5. So why not just go find a 1D4 to buy?

Considered the 1DM4 when it came out, and whilst the MP was respectably higher, ISO performance and low light focusing, didn't appear too improved, and having seen the IQ I have to say I prefer the 1DM3

I have read several owners who upgraded from 1D3 to 1D4 said they prefer creamy-looking photos from 1D3 sometime as between 5D and 5D2.  I think it's related to smaller pixel and more aggressive Digic 4 processor.

Reach is the main thing here, but autofocus, framerate, weathersealing, ISO, and battery performance are all important, and if nothing interseting is announced soon then I will probably upgrade to the 1DX in the next 2/3 months

The ASPH is unique to Canon and good compromise between IQ and reach, however it would be nice if the 7D replacement and a grip could fill the gap, with some of the 1DX features

I also think APS-H is the best balance of IQ and reach.  1D4/1D3 photos are still noticeable and sometimes much better than APS-C photos.  I don't expect Canon can dramatically improve IQ in their next generation of APS-C sensors, maybe a little better DR and high ISO but will still not be able to match to 1D4 IQ overall.  It would be nice if 7DII will use APS-H sensor but in a small body and can shoot 10fps and 30 RAW buffer.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow