Amateur learning to use my new D800, please take a look - Warning: Baby Photos!

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Doug0001
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
Re: Amateur learning to use my new D800, please take a look - Warning: Baby Photos!
In reply to Ernie Misner, Dec 29, 2012

I am familiar with the histogram and I also have the photo playing once it is taken with the clipped areas flashing.  I checked the LR RAW files and the photo is not clipped however in my 'development' I adjusted the exposure, contrast etc and the final histogram is clipped.  I pulled the RAW file up again in LR and if I turn the contrast all the way down the histogram is no longer clipped and has a pretty nice bell curve to it and if I zoom in full size to the face and carpet all the detail is preserved however the photo is not very pleasing that way.

Is there some way of keeping the highlights from getting clipped while adjusting the rest of the photo?  I tried using the 'Highlights' and 'Shadows' adjustments however there is not enough latitude there.

Anyway, the files are not clipped in the RAW but my adjustments to make them look more pleasing ended up clipping them.  I suppose this is what HDR is good for but my daughter was a moving target so that would not really be feasible.  Any other ideas?

Doug0001's gear list:Doug0001's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow