New to Canon

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Henrik Herranen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, the 24-105 is _it_
In reply to clickertim, Dec 29, 2012

I have to echo the others: the 24-105 is it. As so many others, I got my 24-105 a few months after the 5D (and even that only because the 5D + 24-105 kit wasn't readily available at my retailer when i bought my body in 2005).

However, if you don't have the money, the 28-135 IS is not too bad of an alternative. Unlike the 24-105 it's variable aperture, not as wide, and slower, but still capable of producing nice images. Nevertheless, with the 28-135 you are not really getting that much of a benefit over crop cameras like you are with the 24-105.

And yes, you might want to get also one inexpensive prime, just so that you have something small that works in really low light, and/or which'll give you really small depth of field. Some alternatives are Canon's 40mm f/2.8 (really small) or the one lens I started with with my 5D: the Canon 50mm f/1.8. (Be noted though that many many people have had trouble with its auto focus.)

Kind regards,
- Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow