D600 + Kit Lens or OMD EM5 with Primes?

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alfred
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 + Kit Lens or OMD EM5 with Primes?
In reply to lazerbeam, Dec 29, 2012

These are very different cameras - also to hold in your hands and when looking through the viewfinder. Just a couple of days ago I used our E-M5 alongside a 5DIII in candlelight, following kids and family. With both I did not use tracking. I had the 43/1.8 on the Oly (wide open in A) and the 50/1.4 (at 2.8 to avoid too shallow DOF) on the Canon. Overall the rate of keepers was about the same. On the Oly I used a bit lower ISO (up to about 8000) than on the Canon (to 12800). The resulting lower shutter speeds were mostly made good by its stabilizer, excellent face recognition and blazingly fast S-AF. As also stated in the review on this site, S-AF is practically instantaneous and faster than on most DSLRs. Tracking ability was of no relevance in this context, but face recognition across the frame was.

Evidently a full frame DSLR can provide very pleasant picture quality and I prefer using it whenever possible, but when bulk and weight are an issue.... For shots of kids around the house the Oly might give you a high success rate. To make good use of tracking with an FF DSLR within the fairly narrow AF-sensor spread is not that easy. Also the relative absence of fast stabilized lenses for Nikon and Canon is a drawback. Have a good look at the Sony 99 full frame as well.

(Please excuse the absence of sample pictures of persons)

-- hide signature --

--

- Alfred

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow