OM-D5 w/12-50 or X-E1 w/18-55?

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D5 w/12-50 or X-E1 w/18-55?
In reply to NicholasS, Dec 29, 2012

NicholasS wrote:

I am in exactly the same situation as you. The bulk of the 5D Mk III often takes away from casual street shooting. Having said that it is capable of producing photos no OM-D or X-E1 can (i.e. with a 50mm f1.2 or 70-200mm f2.8 but they are heavy and attract a lot of attention).

I would share a couple of thoughts;

1. I previously did not think much of increased auto focus precision and speed. I sold my 5D Mk II at a great price 2 days before the MK III came out (I thought I would be getting better IQ). I was wrong, consistently getting good autofocus is so important. I have used the OM-D and it is extremely quick to focus and the touch screen is nice and easy to use.

2. There is no doubt the IQ from the Fuji seems to consistently outperform every other camera in this class. However, I now find myself valuing the other aspects of the camera and I want a camera that is weather sealed (in Vietnam I stood in torrential rain drenched to the bone with the 5D Mk II and a L lens unprotected and just kept shooting).

3. The EOS-M is very compact with crap AF but MagicLantern and firmware upgrades may fix that! (if so it is a bargain now and like an large S100)

4. Had you considered the E-PL5, NEX-6 or NEX-7? They are also on my list.

5. There is an X100 replacement due soon. If Fuji puts the X-E1 sensor in a X-100 like body with a 35mm equivalent lens and good AF then that would be my choice “walk-about” camera.

-- hide signature --

Nick

Hi Nick,

I've heard a lot of good about AF of 5DMkIII - seems that it's Af module really can deliver decent performance, but 5DMkII is almost unusable for shooting in situation when good AF is needed (from my experience). AF performance of 5DMkII is tolerable for the situations where I intend to use my (to be bought soon) XE1, though.

Weather sealing is a welcomed feature, but I can live with 'normal' design. I am not a big fan of shooting in extreme conditions Being forced to shoot in the rain I would use some chip and dirty tricks like plastic bags, rubber bans and wrap film.

Canon will never (okay, in the nearest future) produce good mirrorless camera because of the fear of cannibalizing of their own low end DSLRs. I'll be happy to fail with this forecast - will grab good ILS camera from Canon next day it will be out

E-PL5, NEX-6 or NEX-7 - all of these cameras are great, but I have serious doubts about it's ergonomics, NEX in particular. Also not quite happy about performance of the native Sony optics for NEX. Fuji has better reputation in this aspect (in my eyes at least).

Xn00 camera - love everything about this camera, just can't afford a single purpose camera with fixed lens. I even not quite sure that it is rational to get an XE1 instead of upgrading my 5DMkII to MkIII...

Andrey

1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow