LightZone is back - good news for GNU/Linux users

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeddi
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Re: Interesting
In reply to QuarterToDoom, Dec 29, 2012

QuarterToDoom wrote:

Their website NEEDS a whole lot of "Were serious" work done.

I gather they were serious for a long while with LightZombie, but I think I know what you mean.

I hate it but image is everything even for a free project. They should start a kickstarter for the site design I'd donate.

Perhaps, but there's lots of things other people should do in order to make the rest of us happy.

Remember, this is free software now, so you're welcome to contribute - you could (note careful use of the word) create an account on the system and start talking to the guys there about helping out by, as you say, initiating a kickstarter project.  I believe that involves a fair bit of work, but mostly adminy type work of getting people talking to each other, spec'ing out some features and work required - basic product/project management stuff.  Alternatively you could offer to assist with the web page.  A myriad tasks, I'm sure, exist on this front.

I've pulled in the java source and set up a VM at this end to try to get the build process documented - it's a fairly delicate combination of Sun-Java 1.5 (yes, that's old, and non-trivial to get going on a contemporary Debian or Ubuntu platform), Install4J, jhindexer / javah, jni, jai and gcc (with some allegedly fragile settings), and some internal (non-public) java API calls into the awt.color / CMM cruft that I really am out of my depth with trying to explore.

Having said that, the short term goal is to just get a single wrapper script that lets the thing compile using contemporary version of java, gcc, etc.   I've gotten some good oil from one of the original developers, and he seems happy to keep providing some very helpful advice, but there's lots of old and uncharted territory here, and the going is slow.

Jeddi's gear list:Jeddi's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow