Getting the look of film from a DSLR out of camera?

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mervyn750
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Getting the look of film from a DSLR out of camera?
Dec 29, 2012

I got into Pentax partly because some reviews noted they produced a bit more film like images.

I was struck however, by looking back at some old images of mine taken with a fuji 9500 how more film like (or mellow/softer? ) they seem to ones taken on a Pentax K10.  It seems to be a bit more difficult to get that look with an DSLR which tend to be crisper and sharper.  I am not suggesting that the 9500 looks like film or even better, but there is a difference between the Fuji and the Pentax jpegs out of camera.  It is also noticeable in prints too.

However, I probably struggled at times with film to even approach what the fuji could do.....

Some recent images posted here of film and also low quality mobile phones (in an article) make be want to try to aim for that look. I think maybe some of the jpeg options in the K5 might go some way towards that look (Muted and Portrait?) but not sure.

Photos 1 and 2 are with the Fuji and 3 and 4 with the K10. Things like lighting come into play of course, but I always felt a bit frustrated with the fuji because it wasn't always sharp enough! Now I want to aim for both with the K5.

Maybe one can get more film like from an SLR with Raw, but I like going with jpegs.

Probably all four images below look digital anyway.

Not sure if this will work  posting images as I have not been writing on the  forum before but I keep checking in as there is so much good advice and experience on here.

No 1 fuji 9500

No 2 fuji 9500

No 3 K10

No 4  K10

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow