Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,585Gear list
Like?
Re: Easy Lightroom Question:
In reply to kelpdiver, Dec 29, 2012

kelpdiver wrote:

Ray Maines wrote:

If I use Windows Explorer to drag a photo, or a folder full of photos, to a different location on my hard drive will Lightroom figure out the change and be able to find the pictures?

I don't agree with answers you got. I do it outside of LR all the time. Sometimes in Windows, sometimes on the solaris server where the files actually reside. This can be done in LR, I'm quite sure, but I know the old ways better.

All you need to do is right click on the altered directories and select synchronize and it will subtract the missing ones, add them at their new location. When we're just talking about a few dozen shots, it takes LR a minute or two.

I advise against this unless you have to.  You can move things outside LR, and later pick up the pieces in LR and re-link the files to the catalog, but it's potentially an error-prone process (demonstrated by many cries for help here and on the Adobe Lightroom forum).

And why make life complicated?  Why make a one-step process (moving files withinin LR) into a two-step process (move the files, then relink)?

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow