Credibility of business review sites (e.g. yelp.com)

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kaholt
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Credibility of business review sites (e.g. yelp.com)
Dec 29, 2012

Have you ever noticed that most online business  review sites post only glowingly positive reviews?  I had a very bad experience with the company borrowlenses.com so I posted a detailed explanation of that experience on yelp.com with a one star rating.  It was taken down in less than an hour.  So I posted another three star review just to see what would happen and guess what?  Its still there!

I have read that companies can pay to get negative reviews removed.  Apparently this must be true.  There was certainly nothing offensive or vulgar in my review that should cause it to be filtered.  Just a clear statement of the facts with a one star rating.  Obviously it was rejected by Yelp's filter because of the low rating.

This is not the first time this has happened to me.   It is clear that these sites serve the interests of the businesses that are paying the freight, not the consumer.  Perhaps that should have been obvious to me before.

Keith

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow