Suggestion for a default filter to keep on 18-105 lense for protection?

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
Re: For protection from what?
In reply to Dan Marchant, Dec 29, 2012

I have a lens cap on when my camera is in its case or stored at my house.  Since most of my photography involves wildlife or BIF, I cannot image leaving the lens cap on until I am ready to take a photograph, since I would miss most possible wildlife photographs.  When I spend a day at the beach or on a hike with my camera, the lens cap is never on until the camera is returned to its case.  When I am taking photographs at home, in doors or on a calm day in a garden, or when I am taking a photograph with a light source in front of the camera, I remove the clear filter.  However, when I am at the shore, in windy conditions. in a blowing misty rain, or when I think those conditions may exist, I use a clear filter.  I would rather clean dirt, sand, salt and moisture from a $75-$100 filter than from a lens which costs 10-20 times that amount (dust and splash proof camera and lenses) .  If in my own tests with my camera and lenses, I could see any difference between photographs taken with and without the filter, then I would rarely use a clear filter.  I cannot see any difference and while I may not actually damage the lens cleaning the salt, sand or dirt from the front of the lens, the peace of mind that the filter provides in more the worth the small cost of a good filter.  I do not however believe that a filter adds much impact protection.  The lens hood is far mare effective and would absorb far more impact than a glass and metal filter.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow