ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jcvjcvjcvjcv
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
Solution for MB-D10 AA battery problem
Dec 29, 2012

Helllo all

I guess I'm not the only one who has had trouble with the MB-D10 in combination with either a D300 or D700 reporting a fresh set of AA Ni-MH batteries "empty".

Here is the solution: (Try at your own risk!)

-Order three rechargeable Li-Mn 14500 batteries and a Li-ion charger. I got the Efest 14500 off eBay. The charger was already in my possession from use with 18650 cells

-Load the three cells in the MS-D10 AA battery holder. Make sure you only load the first three slots nearest to the positive terminal.

-Get a piece of copper wire, strip the ends. Fold the wire in such a manner that it connects to the negative terminal of the AA battery holder and to the negative side of the 3rd battery. I used very stiff 2.5 mm^2 copper wire; complete overkill, but it's very stiff, so you can put it in under tension and it will stay put.

My D300 used to report the Ni-MH batteries empty when they each had around 1,28V. Now with these three Lithium cells it means it will cut off at 3,4V per cells. At that time the cells will have discharged around 95%, so that's a great cut-off point.

Added bonus (or not) is that it weighs a lot less compared to 8 Ni-Mh AA's

Total energy content will be a 60% less, but the amount of energy the D300 will get from these cells is a lot more, since it won't cut off at 80% full.

8fps works great. Even without the EN-EL3e in the body.

Now if anyone is willing to test the same with 4 of these cells: let me know the results....

Nikon D300 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow