More Legacy Lens Talk!

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
wictred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,053Gear list
Like?
Re: More Legacy Lens Talk!
In reply to lukeols, Dec 29, 2012

there's nothing wrong with any of the 50mm lenses.

Personally I have the Minolta MD 50mm F1.4, the Canon FD 50mm F1.4 and the Konica 40mm F1.8.

I prefer the Canon 50mm F1.4 when it comes to sharpness at F 1.4 - 2 .... the colors of the Minolta are really beautiful, however I find it a bit soft even at F2 - still very nice, I guess this is the "soft" rendering of Minolta lenses.

if you want a compact one that you can carry around then you could also take a look at the konica AR 40mm f1.8.

Including the adapter it is just a bit larger than e.g. the Sigma 19mm

The 40mm Konica is a different focal length but the equivalent focal length of 60mm gets closer to the "classic" 50mm on film / full frame. I guess it can be compared to the 58mm lenses from back in the film era.
It is not really sharp wide open and shows a lot of purple fringing, but gets much much better when you stop it down to F2.8. And if you want a better lens in that focal length then you'll have to pay quite some money (couple hundred euros) for e.g. a Voigtländer 35mm or Sony E 35mm F1.8...
The Konica 40mm f1.8 however can be bought for like 20 euros (+ 20 extra for the adapter)

Olympus Pen F lenses seem to work quite well on the E-Mount but I haven't found a cheap one so far. It seems the prices have risen quite considerably....

Regarding wide angle I suggest to try the kit zoom, but if you really want to get a good prime lens then you can go for the 19mm Sigma E-Mount lens, which costs like 130 euros... and sometimes even less

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow