Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,636Gear list
Like?
Re: The Story so Far - Awesome reply
In reply to yvind Strm, Dec 28, 2012

yvind Strm wrote:

Thanks a lot, mira. Awesome post.

With many years of professional experience with MF (Hasselblad, Mamiya, Bronica and Pentax) and 35mm (Nikon) I agree completely.

I would also add one advantage of MF (film). The huge viewfinder. It invites for more careful work with compositions. Its just easier to spot distractions. Maybe also because one are slowed down, and brought out of the cursed snapping mode that brings us millions of unusable photos every day.

Even if it is larger, with my Pentax 67's, they do invite more careful, slower work because they are much darker. I will take the smaller DSLR's brighter view any day and wished my MF's had that characteristic. My Mamiya M7ll is better to view through for it's not through the lens. I never got into 4x5 infield but skipped to 5x7 with generally f8 lenses, one 5.6. This is a huge pain to view and get motivated to setting up but as always, I so grateful for the endurance when viewing those trans on a light table.

Quality is always sacrificed for convenience. And those who prefer convenience will no acknowledge the loss of quality.

As most just watch images on screen, the quality difference between digital FX and film MF might not even be visible.

The difference is in print and projection.

Anyone remember color slide film? Try comparing a 6x6 positive, projected with a good slides projector to any digital image projected with a digital projector.

Remember how we used Kodak Carusels to make AV programs? Where are those things today?

One Kodak is broken sitting in the shed. After one repair it lasted very little life after before breaking again. Another, Sawyers, sits in my office collecting dust but still functional.

They disappeared over night.

Oh, well. Who am I convincing. Anyway, about to buy a D800E. And a Sigma DP1m. Maybe I should get a film MF again too... Hm...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
√ėyvind

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow