Santiago, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Brazil Coast and Rio

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Questions thread
LarsPolarBear
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
Re: Santiago, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Brazil Coast and Rio
In reply to larrymull, Dec 28, 2012

larrymul,

regarding Brazil I agree with Kili Liam, the Brazilian cost is quite spectacular.  However, since you are going to Rio and Argentina, I assume by "coast" you mean the area around Rio (Costa Verde).  The total Brazilian coast is VERY long (several thousand km) and you would not be able to cover it within one trip.  Additional to the places mention by Kili Liam, I would suggest Parati (sometimes also written "Paraty").  It is an old city south of Rio that was build during the gold rush as part of the gold route to Rio.  It was then forgotten and unlike most other Brazilian cities not destroyed during the 50ths and 60ths, therefore the old city center is still totally intact and it lies at a beautiful bay. Rent one of the small boats to get to the restaurants that lie on small islands or other secluded beaches.  There are a lot of beaches around (e.g Trindage) that are beautiful (the green of the Mata Atlantica (vegetation around Costa Verde) together with the beautiful (granite?)   rocks and the blue water make quite some background for stunning pictures - ask the locals to help you with (Brazilians are VERY nice and extremely helpful) It is fantastic - how I miss it....

Yes, be careful with your equipment.  Rome is nothing compared to Sao Paulo or Rio, don't show it, cover it even when you drive in a cab (some one might smash the window and grab it - all has happened before).

While it is an experience to stay in Rio during Carnival, I would rather go afterwards. Timing is perfect in the sense that the rainy period is drawing to an end, while it is till nice and warm.  The school vacations are over, which means less (local) tourist and much lower prices for hotels etc. Furthermore, crime is rather higher in Rio during Carnival since the city is full with international tourists and all locals have left the city for vacation.

Have lots of fun!!!

Lars

LarsPolarBear's gear list:LarsPolarBear's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow