Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lukeols
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
More Legacy Lens Talk!
Dec 28, 2012

Ok, so I know there has been a lot of posting on this... But I'd just like to see what all of you think. I have a NEX 5n, and am new to anything above a point and shoot camera. For xmas, i received some gift certificates for a local camera store, with the intention of getting a new lense or two.

Right now, i have the 18-55 kit lens  and I've been happy with it as i'm learning to use my camera. What i am looking for is an inexpensive way to branch out, get a few new lenses and really figure out what focal lengths i tend to use the most, before i spend some big money on nice glass.

So far, what i've found is the majority of the lenses are a 50mm. I've also had the chance to look at the Canon 50 f1.8 and the 50 f1.4. Has anyone used both of these and make a recommendation between the two? What i'm looking for here is a fast lens for indoor pictures, social gatherings and portraits.

My main passion thus far is landscape and night landscape photos. I go backpacking and canoeing often, and want to document those experiences as best i can. Does anyone have any recommendations for fast wide angle primes? i know they can be hard to come by, because i've been told that film cameras never really went lower than 24mm (i dont know much at all about film cameras or photography). For this option, if not available in legacy glass, are there inexpensive options out there? I may scrap this and just stick with the 18-55.....

Last, before this gets too long, legacy zooms? or zooms in general? I think it would be nice to figure out some option that lets me learn how to use (and see if i need) something in the 200mm focal length.

I dont know a lot, and am learning as i go. Just looking for some opinions and ideas!

Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow