Re: 2 firefighters shot, killed while battling New York blaze
In reply to Morris Sullivan, Dec 28, 2012

Morris Sullivan wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

Morris Sullivan wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

Morris Sullivan wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

It proves that the NRA is totally wrong. Even if those firemen carried a gun, they couldn't stop an ambush, they still died. Bad guys who can't own a gun will get it from someone else; therefore reducing the number of guns can reduce that possibility.

You have a very low burden of proof. One hypothetical example is all it takes? What if they did have guns? And what if they did stop the ambush? Would that "prove" the NRA was totally right?

Hello ..... I presume you know what an ambush is.
You go to put out a fire. You don't know in advance that there is a gunman and you don't even know where he is hiding. What are your chances even if you are armed? You will be dead before you can return fire.

Humor me, suppose he missed and they were able to return fire. Would that one instance prove that the NRA was correct?

I do know what you mean, but look at the forest, not the tree. I think firemen, teachers and everyone carrying guns merely is not the best solution for the problem.

Honestly, I totally agree with you on this one. My thought is, if you are a responsible person and you want to carry a gun, go ahead. But to suggest that we "should" arm everyone is going to cause more problems than it solves in my opinion.

I don't carry a gun with me in public because the cost-benefit doesn't equate in my situation. If I felt it did I wouldn't hesitate. If I was a rancher out monitoring my property I'd have one with me. But the likelihood of a school shooting doesn't in any way suggest that arming teachers is worth the hassle/liability. Same goes for fire-fighters.

Cheers.  Totally agree.
I have always said that it is a failure of law enforcement if people need to carry guns around for self defense, if children and teachers need to go to school with fears.  It's just too easy to pull a trigger.

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.
Freedom without discipline is chaos.

aus4ever's gear list:aus4ever's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow