Used Olympus DSLR or Refurb Olympus DSLR and shutter counts

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Airmel
Regular MemberPosts: 289Gear list
Like?
Re: Used Olympus DSLR or Refurb Olympus DSLR and shutter counts
In reply to aspire, Dec 28, 2012

There is an old saying in the automotive business. "People buy new cars, but they drive used ones". The same applies to buying and using cameras.

The analysis of Used vs Refurb (basically a new camera with 90 day warranty) should be based on what kind of price you can find for a nice used model in comparison to that of the refurb unit.

The Olympus refurb camera warranty can be extended by two years for about $60. If a warranty is important to you, this might be an important reason to go refurb.

On the other hand, I have purchased many used cameras at a significant discount, realizing that I am getting a better price and that in the event of a failure, I will be responsible for the repair cost myself.

I have owned perhaps ten Olympus DSLR models over the years. I bought some new, some refurb and some used. I have had one warranty repair. Have never had a shutter failure although none of mine have had over 50K shutter releases.

-- hide signature --

AirMel

Airmel's gear list:Airmel's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow