Is the RX1 the Most Misunderstood Camera of 2012?

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Blue Orca
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Is the RX1 the Most Misunderstood Camera of 2012?
Dec 28, 2012

It may not be the DP Review Best Camera of 2012, but reading from this forum, I can't help but wonder if RX1 probably is the Most Misunderstood Camera of the year.

For example:

1. Pricing.  Is it an outrageously priced P&S, or a full frame rangefinder with great glass at much better value than a Leica?  OK, I think everyone agrees Sony's pricing on the RX1 accessories is indeed outrageous.

2. DOF.  Large aperture on FF delivers beautiful bokeh, but razor thin DOF also means more room for error in focusing.  RX1 probably attracted many photographers that are new to FF.  They will have to learn how to shoot with large aperture on the RX1.  I think Sony is smart to default at f4 and 1/80 in P mode.

3. Not perfectly circular aperture.  Triangular or conical shape aperture clearly is a defect.  However, it also seems most RX1s, including mine, come with circular but not perfectly round aperture.  I took some test shots at f2, f5 and f8, the out-of-focus LED lights from the nearby electrical appliances in the room looked round to me.

It's been 2 weeks since I received my RX1 and I'm keeping it.  I shot mostly indoor (thanks to the poor weather) and the OOC RAW look much better than my Panasonic GX1 + Olympus 12/f2 can deliver.  I do have to watch out that razor thin DOF when take group shots of people.  Agree AF is a tad slow and can use some improvement in a future firmware update.

Blue

Blue Orca's gear list:Blue Orca's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow