Arca Swiss Z1 SP with RRS Quick Release Clamp. Possible???

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alberto Tanikawa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894Gear list
Like?
Re: Arca Swiss Z1 SP with RRS Quick Release Clamp. Possible???
In reply to Kim van Heuven, Dec 28, 2012

Kim van Heuven wrote:

Dear All,

Planning to buy the Arca Swiss Z1 SP ball head to use with my Canon 1DX. I've read such a great things about the Arca Swiss Z1 (ball design and light weight) that I feel it's slightly better than the RRS BH-55 (although I'm sure I could live with both).

However I believe the Quick Release Clamp on the RRS has a better design compared to Arca Swiss and I think I prefer it also over the screw on design from Arca.

I think one can combine both systems, but I'm not sure. Can anyone advice me on that? (so I avoid buying wrong equipment).

Which model Arca Swiss Z1 SP should I buy (Monoball Z1 sp (Single Pan) Ballhead with 3/8" Screw or maybe the Monoball Z1 sp with Quick Release) and which model RRS Quick Release Clamp (B2 AS II clamp with 1/4-20 screw or the B2 AS II with M6 screw)?

Can you easily combine both or do I need loctite (blue/red) to combine them. If it's too tricky to do than I rather compromise and use one manufacturer.

Many thanks for your feedback.

I would get the Monoball with 3/8" screw to mate with a RRS B2 LR II: 60mm LR clamp with dual mount (has a center 3/8-16 and dual lateral 1/4-20 threads). You need to match the screws from ballhead and clamp for optimum attachment. What you plan on doing is exactly what I did, albeit my ballhead was from Markins, not Arca Swiss. I used Loctite red to make sure the clamp did not come off the ballhead. If you use a 3/8-16 to 1/4-20 adapter on the ballhead and a 1/4-20 screw it would be secure, but not as much as if you used a 3/8-16 screw alone. Better to do it right from the start, and both clamps are the same price anyway. Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow