OM-D5 w/12-50 or X-E1 w/18-55?

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
NicholasS
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D5 w/12-50 or X-E1 w/18-55?
In reply to 1drey, Dec 28, 2012

I am in exactly the same situation as you. The bulk of the 5D Mk III often takes away from casual street shooting. Having said that it is capable of producing photos no OM-D or X-E1 can (i.e. with a 50mm f1.2 or 70-200mm f2.8 but they are heavy and attract a lot of attention).

I would share a couple of thoughts;

1. I previously did not think much of increased auto focus precision and speed. I sold my 5D Mk II at a great price 2 days before the MK III came out (I thought I would be getting better IQ). I was wrong, consistently getting good autofocus is so important. I have used the OM-D and it is extremely quick to focus and the touch screen is nice and easy to use.

2. There is no doubt the IQ from the Fuji seems to consistently outperform every other camera in this class. However, I now find myself valuing the other aspects of the camera and I want a camera that is weather sealed (in Vietnam I stood in torrential rain drenched to the bone with the 5D Mk II and a L lens unprotected and just kept shooting).

3. The EOS-M is very compact with crap AF but MagicLantern and firmware upgrades may fix that! (if so it is a bargain now and like an large S100)

4. Had you considered the E-PL5, NEX-6 or NEX-7? They are also on my list.

5. There is an X100 replacement due soon. If Fuji puts the X-E1 sensor in a X-100 like body with a 35mm equivalent lens and good AF then that would be my choice “walk-about” camera.

-- hide signature --

Nick

NicholasS's gear list:NicholasS's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow