How many times have you returned a lens after purchasing, and why?

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeff Loughlin
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
Re: How many times have you returned a lens after purchasing, and why?
In reply to paulski66, Dec 28, 2012

I almost always buy my gear used.  As long as I'm careful about who I buy from and how much I pay, I can always resell anything I'm not happy with and get back what I paid for it.  Sometimes I even make a profit.  Doing it this way, I'm never afraid to buy the best lenses available, knowing I can resell them later if I end up not using it as much as I thought I would, or if I discover that I really needed a different focal length, or whatever.

So far I've never been stuck with a lens due to a defect or unseen damage.  Maybe I've just been lucky, but I do my homework first and look everything over carefully before I commit to buying it.  Any time I've had a problem, I've always had sellers who were honest and willing to undo the sale when I brought the problem to their attention.

If you buy new, your lens loses 30 percent of its value as soon as you take it out of the box.  But on the used market, lenses don't depreciate with age, as long as you take care of them.  You can resell them years later for the same money - sometimes even more, if it's a rare gem that isn't available anymore.

Jeff

http://www.pbase.com/jeff_loughlin

Jeff Loughlin's gear list:Jeff Loughlin's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow