Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
Re: iPad issue
In reply to aus4ever, Dec 28, 2012

aus4ever wrote:

mandophoto wrote:

aus4ever wrote:

Thank you Leo and Bob.
I'll try what you suggested the next time I have a drop-out. This problem seems quite common among iPad users but there's still no conclusive view about what may cause it.

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.
Freedom without discipline is chaos.

Not this iPad user, however I have the 4th iteration. WiFi is excellent, and in fact as I roam my house browsing I no longer check the signal as it just works, even with a wifi router that is 5 years old with no added signal boosters.

Perhaps you have a really old wifi router?

Not that old; it's a Netgear DGND3300 dual band modem router and I am sitting about 30 ft away from it. I have two 'bars' of signal on my iPad. I had that 'server not responding' problem before I upgrade to iOS 6.0.1. Since then, it seemed to have disappeared but I am not 100% sure. I asked someone and he said it's still there. That's why I asked here.

-- hide signature --

Australia, home forever.
Freedom without discipline is chaos.

FWIW, I've had much better success with Apple routers than non-Apple (my household is all Apple). The pluses are that it all just works. I have an Airport Extreme base station supplemented by 3 Airport Express. I can play iTunes all over the house (various speakers, etc, connected to the express), it works will with Apple TV, and even better, I can play from my iPad to any location, even multiple locations, controlling the volume. Both the iPad2 and the so-called iPad4 work perfectly.

The minuses are the cost (about $100 for an express) and the difficulty in getting a Windows machine to connect (I have most experience with Unix, next with Mac, none with Windows).

For me, the ability to have everything work is worth the cost differential.

EDIT: I've just remembered (amazing what that "Post" button can do for memory) that I did have problems with the iPad2 and getting a signal using 5GHz, but no problems with 2.4GHz.

BobVell's gear list:BobVell's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow