12-35mm or Prime Lens

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
George Hsia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-35mm or Prime Lens
In reply to Jennyhappy2, Dec 28, 2012

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

On the EPL5, would you prefer the 12-35mm lens or the 14mm and 25mm lens?

Depends on what I'm shooting.  I like them all.

Do the prime lenses compared to a zoom lens really make the pictures shine?

Personally I think so but most of the time it is in my head.  I do like the additional control of depth of field with the brighter lenses.

The 12-35mm is an all-purpose lens that works in lots of situations and works fast (no switching lenses to switch focal lengths).

Primes are sharp and have a different character.  I speak mostly of the 25/1.4 and 17.5/0.95.  The problem is they're slow to use.  Do you have time?  Do you have a lot of room to work in (zoom with feet).  If not, then the zoom is probably best.  If you do have plenty of time and room for what you need to shoot then primes are great.  I like choosing different lenses for different occasions but sometimes I don't have that luxury which is when the zoom comes out.  Tell us how you shoot and in what situations and we can give you better advice.

George

-- hide signature --
 George Hsia's gear list:George Hsia's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow