The camera choice dilemma continued . . .

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DeniseNY
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
The camera choice dilemma continued . . .
Dec 28, 2012

OK, so my earlier forum regarding "what would you buy?" ran amok and was locked!  (No trashing, please!)  Without bashing other cameras, it looks like I am going with a 7D.

I want to thank everyone here for their input.  You have all been unbelievably helpful!

There seemed to be some question as to what I would use the camera for, so I'll sum it up as quickly as possible:

I have owned a 10D since July of 2003, so I have some familiarity with Canon's DSLRs.  I held the 7D and it felt just like the 10D.

The major thing I used my 10D for was action and sports photography.  I have taken countless photos of horses, dogs, cats, Yankee games, you get the idea.  The 8 FPS definitely sounds better than 5fps.  I like the fact the OM-D does 9FPS, but as I noticed myself and later read in the review here on DPreview, there were focusing issues when using the continuous drive.  Since I take a lot of these types of photos, the stronger AF wins.  Secondly, well, I'm already a 10D owner, so I already have lenses, filters and a flash.  So having to shop all over again, would raise the price point of the Olympus and make my current setup obsolete.

Lastly, price is important to me.  The OM-D with a lens was $1299 and the camera felt a little quirky in my hand.  So he suggested I get a "grip' for it and then, of course, an adapter to use Canon lenses.  So in the end, I would be right in the price range of a nicely bundled 7D anyway.

I also like the Rebel T4i - especially for it's full HD mode and newer processor.  And then there is the price!  It certainly is more affordable, but even my husband is telling me that it sounds like I would be happier with the 7D.

So in the end, this is probably the one I will choose.

Again, thank you all for your advice and opinions!

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow