Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
potatograph
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Upgrade body or lenses?
Dec 28, 2012

I'm an amateur photgrapher and spend most of my time shooting pics/portraits of the family as well as landscape. I have a basic setup that includes a Canon 40D, 18-55 IS II, and 50mm 1.8.

I just sold some electric guitar gear and am thinking of putting into my camera gear, but I need some input on which route to go. I'm looking at the following options....

1. Sell the 40D and upgrade to the 60D
or
2. Sell the 18-55 and buy a 15-85.
or
3. Sell the 18-55 and buy an 18-135.

I've been pretty happy with my 40D and my kit lens, but I would like a little sharper images. Would it be better to invest in better lenses or hang onto my kit lens for now and upgrade the camera body? Would I see much of an IQ difference between the 40D and 60D? FWIW, I did have a T1i and when I sold it for the 40D, I did see a big difference because of the better focusing on the 40D.

If you think it's wiser to invest in lenses, which of those two lenses would you recommend? I'm aware of the differences and like the wide angle of the 15 but the reach of the 135. I prefer something that I can use as a walkaround lens and not have to change lenses too often while I'm out. Are there any Tamron or Sigma lenses that would be in the same price range, with the same range, but offer sharper images?

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow