Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
axs1
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Anyone using d800 purely manually?
Dec 28, 2012

I recently photographed during a concert - with my new D800. When viewing the results, I noticed the autofocus on maybe 20 % of the shots missed the target (hitting the back wall, etc.) At most there were 7 people on stage playing upbeat music, and with bad lighting and constant movement, it was probably the most difficult situation I've ever been in, as a paid gig. This is one of those situations where I have to use photoshop to the max to save my ass.

Got me thinking, why even use auto focus?  And why use auto-exposure?  You have all the information you need in the view finder anyway. The time it takes to measure light is in most situations minimal, and you can double check the focus on the LCD-display too.

Anybody working this way? I'm not a technophobe or purist. I'm just finding I get more concerned about controlling the automation than just taking the picture, to the point of possibly sacrificing the picture.

This could of course be because I've previously worked mostly manually, and just need time to get used to all the bells and whistles...

Would be interested in views on this.

Cheers!

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow