Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Bmat
Regular MemberPosts: 311
Re: Which would YOU buy and why?
In reply to Limburger, Dec 27, 2012

Limburger wrote:

You exactly point out the problem.

So why invest in an expensive system that gives you less? I more or less see it as a high end compact and a fashion statement.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Sort of.  Gear doesn't do you any good when it stays at home, or in the car, or you have to make choices as to what to bring.  Or it just gets in the way of what you're trying to do.

If you're no matter what going to carry 15 lbs worth of gear everywhere and don't care, or even better yet, have a personal servant to carry it all, then yeah -- you carry the DSLR and L lenses.

If, on the other hand, photography isn't primary to the journey, the size can matter.  For me, I've taken trips with a 1-series, 5D, and//or XXD and perhaps got slightly better IQ (which for some of the XXDs may no longer be the case).  But I also at times enjoyed myself less having to carry the gear on my back, in luggage, etc.

I can afford two systems, so it works out for me.  Others can't, so I think it's a legitimate decision as to what is more important--a sacrifice in IQ and functionality (perhaps decreasing every year, with perhaps the exception of DOF) or portability.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow