RE: Rumor Roundtable - If this rumored G2X had "x" number of features, could I tempt you?

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hoboken Michelle
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
RE: Rumor Roundtable - If this rumored G2X had "x" number of features, could I tempt you?
Dec 27, 2012

One of the existing threads on here about the G2X inspired me to compose a new thread for fun!

For the next week, I'd love to hear your responses as to how I - if I was the Director of Camera Operations for Canon - could tempt you to purchase an updated G1X (G2X). Please indulge me...

Let's assume the initial, somewhat disappointing rumors we've seen are true - as per:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/12/patent-integrated-lens-for-an-aps-c-compact-camera

Now, if I were to add the following features in steps, at what price point would you prefer/could you afford? See below...

[Please, no sarcasm or denigrating of my choices below; it's just a game, just speculation. If you don't wish to participate in this thread or cannot provide constructive criticism, then please don't comment. Thank you, Michelle]

[REMEMBER THAT YOU MUST BUY AT ONE OF THESE RETAIL PRICES WITHIN FIRST THREE MONTHS OF LAUNCH]

[AT ALL PRICE POINTS, CAMERA IS AN 18-70, F2.8 - F6. ALSO, THIS "OPPORTUNITY" ASSUMES THAT YOU MUST BUY CAMERA WITHIN FIRST FOUR MONTHS OF LAUNCH...NO WAITING FOR PRICES TO DROP]

For $700

If a new G2-X has these 18 improvements over previous model:

1) AF speed/accuracy slightly improved from G1X

2) Flush mounted hot shoe to top plate

3) JPEG, NR off option for all modes

4) Claimed battery life of 350 shots by Canon

5) Color accuracy with "yellow" has been tweaked

6) Auto lens cap built into camera

7) Wi-fi connection

8) Upgraded to 18 Megapixels

9) 25,600 expanded ISO

10) A NORMAL illumination lamp that won't blind subjects with white beam

11) 8 FPS continuous drive (don't need separate mode for that)

12) Sony-style (efficiency and effectiveness) panorama mode built-into camera

13) Exposure compensation widened to +-5EV

14) Auto ISO can now go to 6400, instead of 1600

15) Camera now is easier to preview exposure, without having to hold finger halfway on shutter button

16) Program shift operation has been simplified and improved

17) No further problems with RAW + JPEG (the "baked-in" issue)

How about for $800

If a new G2-X has the previous 17 improvements over G1-X PLUS the following:

18) 19 point auto AF selection

19) Dual Axis Electronic Level

20) TTL full aperture metering with 63 zone Dual Layer SPC

21) [ignore #1 above] Almost 2x faster speed operation throughout (power off to on, shot-to-shot time, etc.)

22) Available TTL flash exposure metering in manual mode

23)  Flash is pop-up with "bounce" feature that has been seen in a few other cameras. Flash strength and evenness appears to be "SOMEWHAT BETTER" than...say...RX100 or E-PL2

What about the following for $949

If a new G2-X has the previous 23 improvements over G1-X PLUS the following:

25) 1.04m dot 3:2 touch-sensitive vari-angle ClearView II LCD (capacitive type, multi-touch support)

26) AF speed/accuracy approaching level of entry-mid level Canon SLRs - including low light performance

27) Built-in optical pentamirror with magnification of 85% and coverage of 95%. Please keep in mind, this will add a small amount of weight and bulk

28) [ignore #9 above] New, expanded ISO to 51,200 with picture quality/noise performance equivalent to current G1-X at 12,800

29) Shutter durability tested to 100,000 cycles

30) Focus Peaking

31) Main and front control dials significantly "improved" for more ergonomic handling. In addition, resculpted grip produces increased comfort for right hand (in particular, for your right pinky finger). Please note that this automatically means that bulk is slightly increased

32) Last but not least, as per Canon T4i, sensor has pixels dedicated to phase detection autofocus

33) Built-in metal filter thread

Hoboken Michelle's gear list:Hoboken Michelle's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow