Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mazoeca
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
Lumix G5 Rear Dial Flaw.
Dec 27, 2012

Following is a copy of an e-mail I sent to Panasonic on the above subject. It seems likely that others on this forum have encountered the same difficulty and may care to comment. It is possible that Panasonic occasionally reads the threads on this forum and may therefore be encouraged by repetitive rear dial complaints to include a fix in the G6!? I still love the camera. There have been many very positive reviews - it's a pity this one defect should get in the way.

"I recently bought a Lumix G5 Camera and, for the most part, have been very pleased with it. There is, however, one design flaw which I felt I should draw to your attention as a suggested correction in the next G Series model upgrade:

"The "turn and push" rear dial is made of plastic with smooth rounded teeth. It is also quite stiff to turn. A lot of thumb pressure is therefore needed to make it rotate. As a result it is almost impossible to avoid pressing the dial in while adjusting Shutter Speed or Aperture. This causes it to switch mode repeatedly from exposure adjustment to Exposure Compensation and back in an extremely frustrating manner. At first I thought the unit was defective and was going to return it until I discovered the same complaint expressed on various fora and blogs on the internet. The dial on the GH1 I previously owned was made of a sort of rubberized material with sharper teeth - yielding more leverage with less thumb pressure. It also turned more freely . The dial was thus easy to adjust without pressing it in. Replacing the plastic dial on the G5 with one similar to that on the GH1 would seem a rather minor and easily effected design change.

"Another, more difficult design change might be to move the dial to the front of the camera as on the GH1, thus engaging the index finger and releasing the thumb to more readily fulfill the task of gripping the camera.
"I respectfully offer the above suggestions in a spirit of constructive criticism. I still really like the camera otherwise, and will probably decide to keep it in spite of this truly exasperating design characteristic.
"Hope you will find these comments helpful."

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow