Adobe alternatives?

Started Oct 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,967
Like?
AfterShot Pro is not the same software
In reply to Bobzilla2, Dec 27, 2012

Bobzilla2 wrote:

OK, Just got hold of a couple of trials. First up is Corel Paintshop Pro X5. Have to say, I'm not impressed. It handles, well, like a £50 piece of software. It is painfully slow to respond, the Camera Raw software is a bit rubbish, there's no exposure adjustment and none of the interesting things I've got used to playing with in Photoshop. And it went into a hissy fit when I pressed the wrong button. No easy flick between thumbnail and full screen as on Adobe Bridge. Even moving on to the real photo editor, it was very very slow. And this is a computer on which Photoshop is slick. It just felt like too much hassle.

On to Serif Photoplus, but given its the free version, I'm not holding out much hope.

Try AfterShot Pro instead. It's totally different software compared to other Corel Products.

Basically, Corel purchased Bibble Labs a while back, and relaunched Bibble Pro as Corel AfterShot Pro.

There's nothing in common with Corel AfterShot Pro and other Corel products except for the Corel name.

Corel Aftershot Pro gives you a few features that Adobe Lightroom doesn't have. For example, it allows you to create layers and add regions for selective editing, where you may want to increase saturation in one area but not another, or use fill light on the bottom of photo without impacting the sky, etc; using the amount of opacity desired for the edited portions. It also lets you do stuff like viewing photos without using catalogs, and viewing photos from more than one catalog at a time.

Here's a link to a Webinar that demonstrates a lot of it's features. The selective editing functions (creating layers with regions for editing) are demonstrated starting around 30 minutes into it (most of the first portion of the webinar is geared towards professionals doing events like weddings, where a product like AfterShot Pro can save a lot of time). It's a great product for streamlining workflow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i633ZBya9Fc

You can download a trial of it to see if you like it or not:

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4670071&cid=catalog20038&segid=6000006&storeKey=us&languageCode=en

IOW, don't judge AfterShot Pro based on other Corel Products. Corel AfterShot Pro is totally different (it's Bibble Pro, relaunched under the Corel name), and it's a steal at current sale prices, as Bibble Pro was selling for $199 before Corel purchased Bibble Labs).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow