Veteran MemberPosts: 9,106
Like?
Re: The best camera for macro?
In reply to Limburger, Dec 27, 2012

Limburger wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

Peter too wrote:

Erland Nielsen wrote:

I've been doing insects for 14 years, 50-150-180 mm standard macro lenses, and the Mp-E 65. I mostly use the longer lenses. FF camera is for me something I like. Especially with the Mp-E 65. You get the ability to fit a larger insect in the frame. On a crop camera the "perceived magnification" range is shifted, getting extremely close at 5:1, but the ability to fit insects sized between 22,5 and 36 mm is lost, compared to FF.

Low light is important for me too. I don't use flash, but use mostly monopod and occasionally a tripod. Currently enjoying my new Sigma 180/2.8 OS on 5DIII.

That's interesting. Light is certainly an issue where I thought full frame might have an advantage over crop. Flash is almost essential for live insect photography at high magnification with the 65mm but with the 100mm macro or 1-2X magnification with the 65mm natural lighting becomes possible and the full frame might have an advantage.

Light is less of a factor as you might think (if sensors are of similar technology standards). With APS-C you can use a bigger aperture, to get the same depth of focus. This equalizes things.

I am to start macro next year and done some reading.

From what I understand your remark of changing the aperture to even the DOF crop vs FF will have an impact on the bokeh.

I suspect you mean the amount of blur, instead of bokeh (quality of blur).

If you have equivalent lenses for APS-C and FF, for instance a 60mm lens on APS-C and a 100mm lens on FF, and you set the 100mm FF combination to f16 and the 60mm APS-C combination to an equivalent f10, you get the same DOF and the same amount of blur.

The amount of blur is dependent on the size of the aperture.

100 / 16 = 6.25mm aperture for FF

60 / 10 = 6mm aperture for APS-C

The amount of blur will be the similar, the field of view will be similar, the DOF will be similar.

When the field of view is different, due to not equivalent lenses, I can't comment on the outcome. Blur is aperture size dependent, which is handy to know.

However, the sensor tech. of the 5D mk III and the 6D is a bit better than the 18mp sensor used in the 60D and 650D, so that still brings a bit of an advantage higher ISO wise.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow