Focus bug with my P7700?

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
sdh
sdh
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
update: my 2nd P7700 does not have the focussing "bug"
In reply to sdh, Dec 27, 2012

Got my replacement P7700 last week. (Many thanks to B&H for doing a quick exchange!!)

I'm happy to report that my 2nd P7700 does not have the focus bug that my first one did.

Now at the risk of hijacking my own thread and perpetuating it unnecessarily, I'll hesitantly mention another odd behavior I noticed with my 2nd P7700.

I was skiing again a couple days ago and carrying the P7700. What I noticed was that, the camera would sometimes stall when attempting to zoom back from far-tele zoom positions. In other words, I'd zoom the camera to full, or nearly-full tele, focus, snap a photo (or not snap one), then attempt to zoom back wider. At this point the camera would not respond to the zoom command. Instead, the LCD image went blurry to varying degrees and a second or 2 later zooming began, slowly. It was almost as if the camera was moving the focus element through its travel range before engaging zoom. I don't remember the exact details of the occurrances, but I think it was mainly (or only) when shooting a very far subject (mountain range 2+ miles off) at full or near-full tele. I don't remember if I was using the landacape ("mountain range") AF mode. But it happened a bunch of times.

FWIW, it was a pretty cold day (teens Farenheit) and the camera certainly did get cold. (It was being carried in an external pack and reporting weak battery much of the day, despite fresh charging.) So on one hand, I'm not fauliting the camera (yet); it was operating out of its temp range (and still doing a decent job). On the other hand, I never saw anything like this with my old Sony V3. But on the other other hand, the V3 had half the zoom range.  So Im not drawing any conclusions yet but I'll be keeping an eye out to see whether I can reproduce this again.

That all said, it's time to go do some more shooting (and skiing!)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow