Basic setup for photographing glass?

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,460Gear list
Like?
Re: Basic setup for photographing glass?
In reply to Darrell Spreen, Dec 27, 2012

I think the speedlight is out, at least as a go-to for the majority of my shots. I like to work spontaneously & quickly and avoid repetition to whatever extent is possible (same way I blow glass...). Without modeling lights, I think there's going to be too much trial and error, aiming and placing subjects for direct lighting. The only place I could see maybe employing a speedlight would be for a standard backlit setup - a more practical alternative to my current jackass method of going outside and holding the piece up against the sun.

I haven't ruled out strobes entirely, as it really would be nice to be able to stop down more and back off the ISO. (I see Wescott offers a couple of reasonably powerful monolights that accept a snoot and aren't too terribly expensive.)

I guess I'll just scratch my head a little longer, then take a plunge and try something. 

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow