Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,179Gear list
Like?
Re: The best camera for macro?
In reply to brightcolours, Dec 27, 2012

brightcolours wrote:

Peter too wrote:

Erland Nielsen wrote:

I've been doing insects for 14 years, 50-150-180 mm standard macro lenses, and the Mp-E 65. I mostly use the longer lenses. FF camera is for me something I like. Especially with the Mp-E 65. You get the ability to fit a larger insect in the frame. On a crop camera the "perceived magnification" range is shifted, getting extremely close at 5:1, but the ability to fit insects sized between 22,5 and 36 mm is lost, compared to FF.

Low light is important for me too. I don't use flash, but use mostly monopod and occasionally a tripod. Currently enjoying my new Sigma 180/2.8 OS on 5DIII.

That's interesting. Light is certainly an issue where I thought full frame might have an advantage over crop. Flash is almost essential for live insect photography at high magnification with the 65mm but with the 100mm macro or 1-2X magnification with the 65mm natural lighting becomes possible and the full frame might have an advantage.

Light is less of a factor as you might think (if sensors are of similar technology standards). With APS-C you can use a bigger aperture, to get the same depth of focus. This equalizes things.

I am to start macro next year and done some reading.

From what I understand your remark of changing the aperture to even the DOF crop vs FF will have an impact on the bokeh.

However, the sensor tech. of the 5D mk III and the 6D is a bit better than the 18mp sensor used in the 60D and 650D, so that still brings a bit of an advantage higher ISO wise.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow