Do the phone cameras change the demand for real cameras?

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
paulbysea
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?
Re: Do the phone cameras change the demand for real cameras?
In reply to Limburger, Dec 27, 2012

Limburger wrote:

photogirl7 wrote:

That's an interesting question. I think for photography enthusiasts - like those on this forum - the dslr will always be in demand. But for those who are considering an entry level dslr or advanced P&S, the good IQ provided by the smartphones might just sway them away from those cameras.

I attended the LA Auto show this year, which draws upwards of 90 thousand people on the weekends. I spent 6 hours there and saw maybe 9 or 10 people with dslrs. Everyone else was using phones or p&s.

That says something about the carshow not photography imo.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

I disagree, it reflect a general shift what the general public use to take photos.  10 years ago most of the photographs at a car show would have been taken with camera and I suspect SLRs would have been used by a lot of people.  Good quality camera phones are changing how society takes photos.

My view is that the availability of good shots from camera phones will decimate cheap point and shoot cameras but will either have little effect on dSLR sales or increase them.  What will effect dSLR sales is the new mirror less interchangeable lens cameras, with some of the camera phone users choosing to go this way when they want to get a better camera.

paulbysea's gear list:paulbysea's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8700 Pentax Optio W80 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow