Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,430Gear list
When is enough enough?
Dec 27, 2012

I fail to understand why people are so fixated on new camera models. In the film era, photographers often kept the same body for decades. Now that we have excellent 4/3 sensors, better than any combination of film that was avialable in the film era, don't we have enough?

I mean really, the 12mp Panny sensor with the Oly JPEG engine finally equalled/surpased film quality in a camera that was as small as or smaller than a film equivaltent body. FF dSLR's were always monstrosities that never really had a place in an amature's kit bag and they are getting worse. Prices on u 4/3 cameras have finally come down to the same or less than film era equivalents.

So, what more do we need?

Isn't the GH-3 really a step in the wrong direction?

Maybe it's time to start focusing on lenses and forget about upgrading bodies?

And I am not talking about pointless $1200.00 f/2.8 zoom lenses.  How about some simple manual focus 12, 24 and 48mm f/2  lenses a la Voigtlander but with plastic bodies  selling for $99.00 each?  Think it can't be done?  Look at the Fujinon 35mm f/1.8 that sells for about $35.00.

Really, for 99% of us, the new 16mp sensor is not going to make any diffference in 99% of our photography.

I see evidence in this Forum of people so gear obesessed that I don't think they actually take any photo's at all.  Over the past few weeks one poster has started numerous threads with all sorts of hypothetical questions about things that really don't matter  yet still has not purchased a camera, posted a photo or started a Gallery.

Reminds me of PhotoPerzon but at least he takes some photos!

Maybe they represent the future of photography-you just talk about equipment you will never buy and don't actually ever take a photo?

MakeNIKONModelE5400Capture dateAug 1, 2010 at 19:16:52Shutter speed10/81Aperturef/2.8ISO50Focal length5.8mm gallery pageView:

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YawnNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow