ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mmhendrie
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
advice on flash use indoors for small groups
Dec 27, 2012

Guys,

On my annual trip home to the UK and hope to get a few nice family pictures while I'm hear. In the past i've used my 50mm 1.7 - i like the lens, but it's not great for trying to get indoor low light pics of multiple members of the family. Its typically too long for multiple people indoors in smaller rooms, and, with groups photo's i typically have to stop it down too much to get the rght field of focus as to make it too slow for indoor low-light use.

I've brought my f42 flash with me - something I literally only have a few shots of experience with. I've purchased an inexpensive snap on defuser for it, as i understand this will help soften and spread the light - and I'm hoping to use it with my 18-135mm sony lens, where I can fit more of the room/people in at the short end. I'm unsure how to set the camera up though, and was hoping for advice? I'd probably be photographing from 10-14 feet away, groups of 2-8 people

Initially, I'm thinking of putting the flash on top with defuser, angle it 3/4s to the ceiling with auto settings on the flash, set 100 ISO as I should have plenty of light with the flash, set white balance to flash setting, set the aperture to around 7 to keep everyone in focus, and see what happens....

How does that sound?

thanks in advance,

Mattt

-- hide signature --

www.wingedwarriors.co.uk

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow