Higher ISO's and the need for fast glass?

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ferguson
Regular MemberPosts: 419
Like?
Re: Higher ISO's and the need for fast glass?
In reply to John Motts, Dec 27, 2012

John Motts wrote

Also, having a fast prime, such as a 1.4 doesn't actually give you a noticeably brighter viewfinder.

Well, depends I suppose on "noticeably", but the f-stop (or more properly the T-Stop) is exactly that, an indication of how much light you have for a given focal length, and so whether you notice it or not the light is there in the viewfinder and is available for the auto-focus system.

The speed and accuracy of focus of the lens is a combination of many things, but in low light having a lower f-stop improves focus all other things being equal.

That doesn't mean (for example) that the 50/1.4 will focus faster than the 70-200/2.8.  The mechanism in the 70-200 is faster (or so I am told, I do not have the 50/1.4).

But it does mean that as light decreases the 70-200/2.8 will stop focusing entirely a long time before the 50/1.4 will on the same camera.  And your eyes will be able to see in the view finder longer as well, as light decreases.  Try it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow