PC port on the 580 ex II - can I use this instead of attaching a trigger to the hotshoe?

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sedrocproductions
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
PC port on the 580 ex II - can I use this instead of attaching a trigger to the hotshoe?
Dec 27, 2012

OK - my subject may have been a bit elusive.

I'm getting into strobist work. I have a 580 ex ii with a 430 ex ii and have been experimenting with light set-ups etc. I have a softbox which I fit my 580 into, and use my 430 as a kicker light or background or rim etc etc that sort of thing.

I got a shoot through umbrella and a pair of youngnou yn-622 RF triggers for christmas. Boy these are great and cheap, especially and you can, if you want, just use straight ettl, they can also do HSS and I can control each flash from the back of my 60D. AMAZING.

Anyway, when the triggers are mounted on the bottom of the flashes and then the flashes put on the umbrella, the flashes sit quite high, and are a bit unstable, and also they are not shooting through the middle of the umbrella as I would like. Can I use my hook up a PC port to the trigger and flash and let the trigger hang below the flash thus saving a bit of space? I appreciate the 430ex ii doesn't have a PC port but I can use this in the softbox and the 580 on the brolly.

Thanks!

Steve

sedrocproductions's gear list:sedrocproductions's gear list
Canon EOS 60D
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow